What is a Pittsburgh wrongful death action?
Pennsylvania – July 18, 2022
In the State of Pennsylvania, a wrongful death is considered one where the “death of an individual is caused by the wrongful act or neglect or unlawful violence or negligence of another.” A wrongful death legal action is a particular type of lawsuit that is brought by loved ones of someone who dies because of the negligent, reckless, or deliberate act of another.
Surviving family members and loved one may suffer significant financial burdens by the loss of a loved one whom may be the sole provider of family income or make up a significant share of economic stability in a household. The loss of companionship and income alone could present hardship for family, in addition to the unexpected costs of funeral and burial expenses associated with a premature death. Damage compensation in these lawsuits can include:
- Medical bills,
- Funeral and burial expenses,
- Compensation for lost wages their loved one would have earned had he lived to his normal life expectancy,
- Compensation for the pain and suffering endured by the surviving family members due to their loved one’s absence,
- Emotional distress,
- Punitive damages that are intended to punish the person who caused the death.
Filing a wrongful death claim timeframe.
In Pennsylvania, it is important to know that a personal representative of the deceased’s estate, or surviving family member can file a claim. The personal representative must file an action within six months of the date of death, otherwise the opportunity opens to any beneficiary to file the claim. The statute of limitations to file a claim in general is two years from the date of the death.
Legal action after a wrongful death accident.
Surviving family members and loved ones can reduce stress and worry by hiring a competent legal professional, who is better suited to communicate with insurance carriers, and opposing legal counsel while tracking court filing timelines for wrongful death litigation. A competent Pennsylvania accident lawyer at Scanlon & Wojton Law Offices is familiar with state and federal laws regarding wrongful death accidents and they can objectively speak on behalf of an injured party in court, or against an insurance company’s legal team, often yielding a swift and fair monetary settlement.
Scanlon & Wojton, Attorneys at Law
The Mitchell Building
304 Ross Street, Second Floor
Pittsburgh, Pa 15219
Phone: (412) 918-1241
Fax: (412) 235-7275
- Can monetary damages be recovered for work related toxic exposure in Baton Rouge? - March 2, 2023
- Can parents shield kids from negative social media impacts leading to suicidal ideology? - February 13, 2023
- A man was fatally injured in San Diego after being struck by a Honda sedan. - February 9, 2023
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!