What damages can a spouse in Boca Raton, FL collect when their loved one was killed by a negligent driver?
If your spouse was killed in a drunk driving accident in Boca Raton, FL or another type of crash that was caused by a negligent driver, you may be considering the options that are available to you that will help you recognize the driver for their negligence and carelessness. Aside from pushing for criminal charges to be imposed, you might also consider filing a wrongful death lawsuit. In the State of Florida, the spouse of a decedent can file suit in an effort to recover damages for all the losses they experienced as a result of the crash.
The courts use the term “damages” to refer to the monetary relief that is provided to the surviving family whose close relative was killed.
Now, before a spouse is awarded compensation for their loved one’s death, his or her wrongful death attorney needs to file a lawsuit and in it request which types of damages they are seeking. There are various damages you might be entitled to, but it all depends on your current circumstances. Some of the damages you might consider including in your lawsuit given they apply to you include:
- Loss of companionship. The untimely death of your spouse might have you feeling alone, depressed, and with no one to turn to. After all, that was your spouse, the person you likely confided in and spent your days discussing your goals and dreams with. It isn’t easy accepting the loss of a spouse nor is it easy to move forward with your life, especially if you have children together which is why you are allowed to request that compensation be paid for “the loss of the decedent’s companionship and protection and for the mental pain and suffering from the date of the injury” [Source: Florida Statute §768.21].
- Loss of support and services. Florida law permits each survivor, including a spouse, to “recover the value of lost support and services from the date of the decedent’s injury to her or his death, with interest, and future loss of support and services from the date of death and reduced to present value.” When the court evaluates what a survivor is entitled to, it shall consider your relationship to the decedent, the amount of the decedent’s probable net income available for distribution to the particular survivor, and the replacement value of the decedent’s services to the survivor.”
- Funeral expenses. The last thing you probably ever expected you would have to do is plan for your spouse’s funeral. Unfortunately, this is something that needs to be done and can be rather costly, especially if your spouse didn’t alreadyset aside money for it along with a will that addressed their final wishes. If you had to pay for your spouse’s funeral, Florida law does permit you to request that you be paid for any funeral expenses incurred.
If your loved one was involved in a fatal accident recently and you haven’t yet found a funeral home you would like to use, the Glick Family Funeral Home is one you should consider. This funeral home, which is located in Boca Raton, FL, serves all denominations and is family owned and operated. If you would like a tour of the grounds or wish to learn more about the services this funeral home provides, you can visit them at 3600 North Federal Highway, Boca Raton, FL 33431 or call them at (561)-672-1880.
I’m ready to file a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of my deceased spouse. What do I need to do?
In order for a spouse to actually recover the damages they are eligible to receive, they are going to need to build a strong case against the negligent party who caused the crash. To do this, you will need to contact the Law Offices of Oscar Syger to speak with an experienced Boca Raton, FL wrongful death attorney. Filing suit for the wrongful death of your spouse isn’t easy and can sometimes be a lengthy process to go through. Therefore, it is recommended that you contact a compassionate lawyer today who can help you get started.
The Law Offices of Oscar Syger is located at:
433 Plaza Real, Suite 275
Boca Raton, FL 33432
- Miami Florida construction accident results in the deaths of two workers - December 9, 2019
- After a car accident injury leading to death in Boca Raton, who will pay medical bills and funeral expenses? - November 19, 2019
- What damages can a spouse in Boca Raton, FL collect when their loved one was killed by a negligent driver? - September 17, 2019