Motorcyclist in Dallas suffered fatal injury after a crash with SUV in Richardson.
Texas – January 30, 2023
East Arapaho Road and Westminster Drive was the scene of a tragic accident where a 55-year-old motorcyclist suffered catastrophic injuries in Richardson. The motorcyclist was riding in the eastbound lanes of Arapaho while an SUV was turning left from the westbound lanes when he crashed into the vehicle. The rider was transported to the hospital where he succumbed to his injuries. Law enforcement officers are investigating the crash.
Increased dangers to motorcyclists.
Motorcyclists are more susceptible to accidents arising out of bad roadway conditions, as well as negative interactions with other drivers, resulting in a death rate 28 times higher than passenger vehicle drivers according to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration. Traffic-related fatalities disproportionately represent motorcyclists who account for 14% of all traffic-related fatalities. If an accident is caused by illegal actions such as reckless driving or driving while intoxicated, a drunk driving accident attorney in Dallas make take the lead and initiate legal action when wrongful death, or catastrophic injury occurs in a motorcycle accident.
When motorcycle accidents occur, victims are often left to deal with significant injury and a loss as to what their future will hold. Many injuries can be catastrophic, varying by severity, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Friction burns (also referred to as road rash)
- Spinal cord damage
- Broken bones
Despite the advances in roadway engineering and motorcycle design, catastrophic injury and fatal crashes increase the burden on America’s health care system and leave individuals with extreme physical, mental, and financial hurdles to overcome. A Texas motorcycle accident attorney can work with medical professionals, and other experts to determine causes and damage valuations when catastrophic injury will last a lifetime, or result in the absence of a loved one due to fatal injury.
Wrongful death statute of limitations.
In Texas, family members, or legal representatives must file a wrongful death legal action within two years from the date of the incident that caused an untimely death. A Dallas wrongful death attorney can assist with damage valuations and timelines relevant to a case. Compensation may cover:
- Medical bills and treatment,
- Funeral and burial expenses,
- Lost wages relevant to life expectancy compensation,
- Compensation for pain and suffering,
- Punitive damages based on individual case.
Accident victims should take steps to minimize additional stress by hiring competent legal counsel who can objectively speak on their behalf in a courtroom, and work toward damage recovery.
- Compensatory damages are an award of money in compensation for actual economic losses, injury, and property damage, not including punitive damages.
- Exemplary (punitive) damages are meant to punish the individual who caused harm, or injury and loss to the victim, and are contingent upon proving that a defendant deliberately, with reckless disregard, acted in a manner to cause harm to another person, such as driving while impaired. Texas law limits punitive damages to two times the amount of actual damages up to $750,000 in total damages, or $200,000.
Hire a Dallas lawyer.
Experienced Texas attorneys can offer motorcycle accident victims, and their families competent legal counsel with valuable resources to support a wrongful death case. Skilled attorneys at the Cooper Law Firm can file a legal action for damages, and survivor’s benefits when someone is killed in a motorcycle accident.
Cooper Law Firm
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 2222
Longview, TX 75606
Physical Address: 501 N Third St,
Longview, TX 75601
Telephone ; (903) 297-0037
Toll-Free: 1-855-297-HURT (4878)
Facsimile: (903) 236-0035
- CIVIL PRACTICE AND REMEDIES CODE CHAPTER 71. WRONGFUL DEATH; SURVIVAL; INJURIES OCCURRING OUT OF STATE (texas.gov)
- CIVIL PRACTICE AND REMEDIES CODE CHAPTER 41. DAMAGES (texas.gov)
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!